Checking your status

Restricted Licenses

Ignition Interlock Lic.

SR-22 Insurance

Physical Control

Negligent Driving 1st

Hit & Run (Attended)

Reckless Driving
Driving w/o a license 1st

Driving w/o a license 2nd

Driving w/o a license 3rd

Traffic Infractions

Minor in Possession
Home   Domestic Violence   DUI   Traffic Tickets   Web Resources   Contact Us   Cahoonbooks
Click here to make
an on-line payment
New book by Craig Cahoon
for the families of those facing criminal charges
"What Do I Do Now?" book cover
Copyright © 2010 The Cahoon Law Office - All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: The criminal driving defense information presented at this site should not be considered formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact a Washington State drunk driving lawyer or attorney for a free initial consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Washington.

My defense law firm serves the following Western Washington communities, among others: Snohomish County, King County, Skagit County, Alderwood, Arlington, Bellingham, Bothell, Brier, Camino Island, Darrington, Edgewood, Edmonds, Everett, Gold Bar, Granite Falls, Index, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Monroe, Mountlake Terrace, Tulalip, Mukilteo, Silvana, Smokey Point, Snohomish, Stanwood, Sultan, Woodway, Anacortes, Bow, Burlington, Clearlake, Concrete, Hamilton, La Conner, Lyman, Marbelmount, Mount Vernon, Sedro Wooley, Bellevue, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park, Mercer Island, Redmond, Seattle, Shoreline, Woodinville.

I also serve the following Zip Codes: 98011, 98012, 98020, 98021, 98026, 98033, 98034, 98036, 98037, 98043, 98046, 98052, 98072, 98082, 98087, 98201, 98203, 98204, 98205, 98206, 98207, 98208, 98213, 98223, 98241, 98251, 98252, 98256, 98258, 98259, 98270, 98271, 98272, 98273, 98274, 98275, 98287, 98290, 98291, 98292, 98293, 98294, 98296





  Bookmark and Share
Experienced and Aggressive Criminal Defense


An Ignition Interlock Driver License (IIL) allows you to drive vehicles equipped with an ignition interlock device while your regular license is suspended or revoked for an alcohol-related Driving Under the Influence (DUI) or Physical Control.

The ignition interlock device wonít allow the vehicle to be started if it detects alcohol on your breath. The device may also require additional ďrolling retestsĒ while the vehicle is being driven.

To be eligible for an IIL, your driving record must show that:

You have been arrested for, or convicted of, an alcohol-related DUI or Physical Control.
You have had a valid driver license.
You havenít been convicted of vehicular assault or vehicular homicide within 7 years before the incident for which you are requesting an IIL.
Your current suspension or revocation isnít for, or doesnít include, Minor in Possession, Reckless Driving reduced from an alcohol-related DUI, Vehicular Assault, Vehicular Homicide, or Habitual Traffic Offender.
Vehicles that require an interlock device
While driving with an IIL, you must maintain an interlock device on all vehicles you drive, including employerís vehicles you drive during work hours. You cannot drive a commercial motor vehicle while you have an IIL.

Work vehicles
If you drive vehicles owned by your employer during work hours, the vehicles must be equipped with an interlock device. However, this requirement may be waived if your employer signs an Employer Declaration for Ignition Interlock Waiver . You must send us a copy of the signed declaration before you drive your employerís vehicles, and you must carry a copy of the declaration with you whenever you drive a work vehicle that isnít equipped with an interlock device.

Getting an IIL
If your license has been suspended or revoked by the Department of Licensing
Starting January 1, 2009, you may apply for an IIL at any time, including after being arrested or after your revocation hearing. When you get an IIL:

you waive the right to a hearing on your license suspension or revocation.
you must maintain an interlock device on all vehicles you drive for the remainder of the period of your suspension.
If you have been convicted in court of an alcohol-related DUI
Starting January 1, 2009, the court must order you to apply for an IIL. If you donít own a vehicle, arenít eligible to receive an IIL, or ignition interlock devices arenít available in your area, the court may waive the IIL requirement and order you to undergo alcohol monitoring for the same period of time the interlock device would have been required.

If the court  You must maintain an ignition interlock device for 
Granted you deferred prosecution for an alcohol-related incident  2 years 
Convicted you of DUI or Physical Control  1 year for the first offense.
5 years for a second offense.
10 years for subsequent offenses.

How to apply for an IIL
Install an ignition interlock device in every vehicle you drive. The installer will send us proof that the devices have been installed.
Get proof of financial responsibility, such as a Certificate of Insurance (SR-22). An insurance agent can help you with this requirement.
Complete an Ignition Interlock Driver License Application .
Submit your completed application with a check or money order for the application fee:
in person at any driver licensing office.
by mail to:

Driver Records
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9048
Olympia, WA 98507-9048
We will let you know in writing if your application has been approved or denied.

Fees and costs
You are responsible for paying all the IIL fees and interlock device costs, including:

the cost of installing, leasing, and removing an ignition interlock device.
the cost of maintaining proof of financial responsibility (usually as an insurance certificate).
the IIL application fee (non-refundable).
the monthly Ignition Interlock Device Revolving Account fee used to help low-income drivers with the cost of an interlock device.
Help for low-income drivers
You may be eligible for assistance if you cannot afford to pay the costs of installing, leasing, and removing an ignition interlock device in the vehicles you drive. To apply for financial help, complete and submit an Ignition Interlock Device Financial Worksheet . You may apply once each year.

Frequently asked questions
Do I have to tell my employer I am required to use an ignition interlock device?
Only if you must drive vehicles owned by your employer as part of your job. Your employer must sign a declaration that you are required to drive the vehicle during work hours before you can drive legally.

If I was convicted of an alcohol-related DUI, can I get an Occupational/Restricted License instead of an IIL?
No, you may drive only if you have an IIL and an interlock device installed on your car. The Occupational/Restricted License (ORL) isnít available to drivers who have been convicted of DUI.

What if I own more than one vehicle?
You must install an interlock device in all the cars you drive, but arenít required to install one in all the cars you own. If you prefer, you may install an interlock device in one of your vehicles and drive only that vehicle while your license is suspended.

*Source: Washington State Department of Licensing

The Cahoon Law Office
3405 - 172nd Street NE, #5-242

Arlington, WA 98223

Meetings (appt. Only)

122 East 5th Street
Arlington, WA 98223
Google Map to Building
How may I help?

Call 866.529.5383

Fax 360.322.7360