Checking your status

Restricted Licenses

Ignition Interlock Lic.

SR-22 Insurance

Physical Control

Negligent Driving 1st

Hit & Run (Attended)

Reckless Driving
Driving w/o a license 1st

Driving w/o a license 2nd

Driving w/o a license 3rd

Traffic Infractions

Minor in Possession
Home   Domestic Violence   DUI   Traffic Tickets   Web Resources   Contact Us   Cahoonbooks
Click here to make
an on-line payment
New book by Craig Cahoon
for the families of those facing criminal charges
"What Do I Do Now?" book cover

Occupational/Restricted Driver License (ORL)

While your driver license is suspended or revoked, you may be eligible to receive an Occupational/Restricted Driver License (ORL). It’s good for the length of your suspension or revocation period.

You may use an ORL for:

ORL driving restrictions

An ORL restricts the:

Who’s eligible to get an ORL?

You may be eligible if you:

You’re not eligible if:

Commercial drivers

You can’t get an ORL to drive a commercial motor vehicle. But, if you have a commercial driver license, you may apply for an ORL to operate a non-commercial motor vehicle.


The fee is $100 and isn’t refundable even if your application isn’t approved.

How to apply for an ORL

Note: We’ll hold your application for 30 days so you’re able to get us the required documents. After 30 days you forfeit any fees you’ve paid, and you’ll have to start over again with a new application and fee.

  1. If you’re eligible, complete an Occupational/Restricted Driver License Application for each reason you’re seeking an ORL.
    For example: If you need to drive to work and to school, complete 2 applications: 1 for work and 1 for school. Applications are available at any
    driver licensing office.
  2. Pay the nonrefundable fee for each type of suspension or revocation.
    For example: If the applications are to drive to work and to school and you have 1 suspension, pay 1 fee ($100). If the applications are for 2 different suspensions, you pay 2 fees ($200).
  3. Take your application(s) and fee to any driver licensing office or mail them to:
    Occupational/Restricted License
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9048
    Olympia, WA 98507-9048
  4. Provide 1 of the following as proof of financial responsibility:
    • A certificate of insurance (SR-22). Contact an auto insurance agent for help.
    • A State Treasurer’s certificate of deposit of $60,000 or approved collateral of equal value.
    • A surety bond executed by the person giving proof and a surety company authorized to do business in Washington State, or by the person giving proof and by 2 individual sureties.
  5. If your driver license is suspended because you didn’t pay a ticket or appear in court (FTA), submit proof that you have entered into a payment plan with the court. Courts can complete an FTA Payment Plan Verification form and give it to you to attach to your ORL application.
  6. We’ll process your application and mail you the ORL. We process applications in the order they are received.

When you’ll get your ORL

If you qualify, we’ll issue your ORL and mail it to you on the day your license suspension begins.

If you are denied an ORL

If your application is denied, you may request a hearing with us to consider whether or not you meet the eligibility requirements for an ORL. Use the hearing request form enclosed with your denial letter to request a hearing, or mail a letter requesting a hearing to:

Hearings and Interviews
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9041
Olympia, WA 98507-9041

We may deny your hearing request if your license is suspended or revoked for a reason where the law does not permit us to issue an ORL, or if the law otherwise prevents us from issuing an ORL.

ORL cancellations

We’ll cancel your ORL and notify you in writing if any of the following occurs:

*Excerpts from the WA DOL website

Copyright © 2010 The Cahoon Law Office - All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: The criminal driving defense information presented at this site should not be considered formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results set forth here were dependent on the facts of that case and the results will differ from case to case. Please contact a Washington State drunk driving lawyer or attorney for a free initial consultation. This web site is not intended to solicit clients for matters outside of the State of Washington.

My defense law firm serves the following Western Washington communities, among others: Snohomish County, King County, Skagit County, Alderwood, Arlington, Bellingham, Bothell, Brier, Camino Island, Darrington, Edgewood, Edmonds, Everett, Gold Bar, Granite Falls, Index, Lake Stevens, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Monroe, Mountlake Terrace, Tulalip, Mukilteo, Silvana, Smokey Point, Snohomish, Stanwood, Sultan, Woodway, Anacortes, Bow, Burlington, Clearlake, Concrete, Hamilton, La Conner, Lyman, Marbelmount, Mount Vernon, Sedro Wooley, Bellevue, Kirkland, Lake Forest Park, Mercer Island, Redmond, Seattle, Shoreline, Woodinville.

I also serve the following Zip Codes: 98011, 98012, 98020, 98021, 98026, 98033, 98034, 98036, 98037, 98043, 98046, 98052, 98072, 98082, 98087, 98201, 98203, 98204, 98205, 98206, 98207, 98208, 98213, 98223, 98241, 98251, 98252, 98256, 98258, 98259, 98270, 98271, 98272, 98273, 98274, 98275, 98287, 98290, 98291, 98292, 98293, 98294, 98296





  Bookmark and Share
Experienced and Aggressive Criminal Defense

The Cahoon Law Office
3405 - 172nd Street NE, #5-242

Arlington, WA 98223

Meetings (appt. Only)

122 East 5th Street
Arlington, WA 98223
Google Map to Building
How may I help?

Call 866.529.5383

Fax 360.322.7360